We strive to make everyone feel welcome at our dances: Beginners & experienced dancers, all ages, all genders. We use the gender-neutral terms Larks & Ravens to differentiate the dance roles.
Even non-dancers are welcome at our dances – come hang out in our cozy lounge, bring your knitting or school work and enjoy the live music and a free cup of tea.
All Nations Church – 2535 Robie at Charles – entrance up the wooden ramp on Robie St.
– Quick (and highly recommended) lesson for beginners starts at 7:30 pm
– Beginner-oriented dancing continues till 9:00 pm – with gradually increasing difficulty.
– After 9:00 pm dances are aimed at experience dancers and it is recommended that beginners dance only with partners who are experienced (we facilitate the pairing up of beginners and experienced dancers!)
– Regular admission for dancers is $10
– We are a volunteer-run organization on a tight budget – if you’re on a tight budget too, then please pay what you can! Nobody will be turned away.
– For groups of adults and children, we suggest $10 each for up to 2 adults, and a small donation for each child and additional adult.
Other helpful notes:
– Bring a water bottle to help us reduce the time volunteers spend washing dishes. You will get thirsty!
– No experience needed, but beginners should come early to learn the basics and participate in the beginner-oriented dances.
– We welcome dancers to bring a small snack to share to enhance the community feeling – dancers are also invited to bring information about other community events for our ‘community table’.
– Wear stretchy clothing and dress in layers as it gets very hot in the dance hall.
– Clean, flat shoes recommended.
– Remember we are scent-free – some dancers have severe allergies.
And, finally, a word on our values:
– We are a supportive, beginner-welcoming, fun-loving group – we don’t take our dancing too seriously – mistakes are an opportunity for laughter!
– We commit to creating a gender-positive space where anyone feels welcome to dance with anyone else.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us any time, at firstname.lastname@example.org